Desert features

Submitted: Monday, Aug 15, 2005 at 12:54
ThreadID: 25618 Views:3460 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
G'day All,

Just back from 10 day trip Adelaide-Dalhousie-Birdsville-Adelaide. In other words, a west to east Simpson Desert crossing. Nothing patricularly remarkable in that, I realise. However, I thought that I would share with you a few observations. They are neither good or bad, right or wrong, just some brief features of the trip.

Weather - absolutely magnificent : minus 2 degrees to about 22 degress. No clouds seen for 9 days -of particular interest - no flies - well OK, last day near Big Red a few, but bugger all. No wind to speak of - either in the camp (sometimes can be caused by excesses of tucker), or whilst touring.

Traffic - I was surprised at the volume of traffic coming from east to west. This included tag alongs, and the Fergusson Tractor club complete with approx 5 little Fergies. A significant number of trailers were observed, but all seemed to be coping and dunes were not too badly knocked about or damaged.

Wild flowers - absolutely sensational. Having been aware of recent rains in the desert, this was a prime motivator in going at this time. The vast distances of predominately yellowtop (Fleshy groundsel), poached egg daisies and scented cress, in flower, were amazing. Loved the Stuart's pea on the dune tops. Also amazing was the huge number of navy worms on the tracks, where it appears they prefer to be rather than in the adjacent plant populations! Also of note were the magnificent gidgee swales. What a top fuel, used of course in minimum quatities to cook on. (Traveller's hint - if you do have a fire, please cover the ashes & evidence with sand, rather than just leaving a mound of black & white ashes & charcoal.)

Wild Life - from brolgas to bustards to crows to wrens, but very little in the desert proper. I imagine this is due to the lack of surface water. Saw small mobs of camels twice. The occassional 'roos and emus, dog tracks & bird tracks in the sand were regulary observed. Most wild life was observed on the margins of the desert proper.

A few other observations -

Station cattle in good nic.
Oodnadatta & Birdsville tarcks in sound condition.
Prado Turbo diesel auto (my mate's bus I travelled in) a neat & economical performer in the sand & slower going. Makes one reconsider the arguements for manual Vs auto.
Big Red = play pen.
Venus & a waxing moon, along with skies so clear we got confused about which stars were which. Much easier to see the major stars from the city!
Eyre Creek is beautiful, as is the Warburton Creek/River.
Birdsville appears to be expanding - new bakery & new houses.
Lots of stone cairns just north of Maree on the B'ville Track.
Met Dean Koopman,who has walked with 3 camels from Broome to Quorn, but is having serious issues with roadside glass fragments getting into the camels' feet.
The enjoyment of most travellers was palpable.

Cheers,

Rick.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Banjo The First (SA) - Monday, Aug 15, 2005 at 13:28

Monday, Aug 15, 2005 at 13:28
G'day Rick - I'm a base operator with the VKS737 HF network and the mob with the Fergy tractors dropped into my sked Sat 13th. They were half way up the Hay river track, on the way north to Jervois.... then around to the Alice - sounded like they were all having a great time. Dean K also drops in on sked at times - Mostly Alice base (callsign Camel 1) - he carries the HF in a backpack and charges from a solar panel apparently. Thanks for the feedback - your trip sounds to have been a general winner - we love it out in those regions.
AnswerID: 125261

Reply By: GREENDOG - Monday, Aug 15, 2005 at 13:35

Monday, Aug 15, 2005 at 13:35
G' day Rick we were up in Dalhousie 2 weeks ago on the tuesday,flower's are great ha makes for nice photo's,we ran in to Dean Koopman and he's camel's at Parachilna last thursday interesting bloke,glad you had a good trip cheer's GREENDOG
AnswerID: 125263

Reply By: andrewr - Monday, Aug 15, 2005 at 21:43

Monday, Aug 15, 2005 at 21:43
Thank you for sharing that. I'm off in Pajero diesel auto next week with three others. The temperatures you've mentioned are a fair bit colder than I had expected so I will rug up a bit more. I have put an electric blanket in my swag to run off an inverter mounted in the back of the 4wd, so I think I'll be alright but the others might shiver a bit.

Which track did you take and how much fuel did you use across the desert? I was going to take the French Line because fuel is going to be an issue for us.
AnswerID: 125331

Follow Up By: Rick (S.A.) - Monday, Aug 15, 2005 at 23:37

Monday, Aug 15, 2005 at 23:37
795 km west to east from Oodna to Birdsville. 112 L diesel. Have a look at the trek notes here on EO for the table of fuel consumption for different engines. Adam Plate at the Pink Roadhoause thought we would use 105 L. We did a detour of another 60 Km over the route described below, and came in 7 L over his estimation. Wow. If fuel is an issue, why not top up at Mt Dare?

We went: Oodna-Hamilton Station - Pedirka - Dalhaousie - Purnie Bore - Rig Rd - Mokari Airstrip - Lone Gum - Approdina Attora Knolls - French Line - QAA - Birdsville.

I suggest the Rig Rd- easy driving, softer country at present, flowers extarordinary, less traffic.

Re the 'leccy blanket: A death in the Simpson has not been recorded due to cold. Wear a t-shirt or similar - a good fart may warm things up for a bit.
Leave some of the city crap behind. It's about experiencing things out of the ordinary. Spend one entire night without any artificial lights - you'll cope. I did. Get to appreciate Venus & her mates.

cheers

Rick
FollowupID: 380096

Follow Up By: Member - RockyOne - Tuesday, Aug 16, 2005 at 10:55

Tuesday, Aug 16, 2005 at 10:55
Re cold at nite,I got one of those "space blankets" from a camping shop..On my Portmans Nov Hi country trip,we got -2 deg on nite, 8 inches (200) snow..I had my typical Queensland summer sleeping bag..Was cold till I put the space blanket over,then instantly warm..Amazing..Folds up to fit in pocket..Silver one side,camo green other..I really got it to cover accident victims,if we come across another one.((Hope not) to prevent shock related problems.!MPG:7!
FollowupID: 380146

Follow Up By: andrewr - Tuesday, Aug 16, 2005 at 11:54

Tuesday, Aug 16, 2005 at 11:54
Rick,

Thanks for that - I was going via Mt Dare but wondering if I could get away one jerry can and from your stats am guessing I could (should give me 110l in total) and take the longer route via the Rig Rd.

The electric blanket was really just a lark to stir my companions up - not something I'd intended to actually use. I put it in when I was heading into the snow a month or two back, but the trip didn't eventuate, and I've left it in as it serves as an under blanket.

Andrew
FollowupID: 380155

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Aug 15, 2005 at 23:19

Monday, Aug 15, 2005 at 23:19
Good one Rick,
Sounds like you had a similar trip to the one we had a month or so ago, but we went east to west. How was the Spring Creek Delta? It was under water for about 1klm when we went though and there were many large holes that just about swallowed a 4x4!! I can only imagine what they are like now that the track has (presumably) dried out a bit.
We ran into Dean Koopman and his camels not far out of William Creek, heading for Maree. He is one gutsy bloke!!
Cheers mate
Roachie
AnswerID: 125351

Follow Up By: Rick (S.A.) - Monday, Aug 15, 2005 at 23:44

Monday, Aug 15, 2005 at 23:44
Roachie,

Spring Ck delta chopped to hell & a detour of approx 35 km is in place. It is very slow & rough.

Dean Koopman will finish his trek prematurely at Quorn, and plans then to base himself at Beltana Railway Station for work/guided tours etc.

Ruth was asking about you, & took your advice about posting a reply, as you no doubt have seen.

Cheers

Rick
FollowupID: 380097

Reply By: Member - Banjo The First (SA) - Tuesday, Aug 16, 2005 at 08:46

Tuesday, Aug 16, 2005 at 08:46
Indeed Rick - Venus and her mates are impressive ....... and looking at other galaxies (even with the naked eye) always blows me away ! The clouds of Magellan can easily be seen just before bedtime (if sober). If I get the binocs out, I can see the swirling disc like structure of one galaxy - amazing. I often have to get out for a slash in the early hours - after looking at the inside of my eyelids for a few hours, the stars are twice as bright - never fails to impress me ! The early settlers and explorers had that on a plate most nights, but were probably too knackered to appreciate it !
AnswerID: 125367

Follow Up By: Rick (S.A.) - Tuesday, Aug 16, 2005 at 16:01

Tuesday, Aug 16, 2005 at 16:01
G'day Darian,

Even if they were knackered, the explorers & surveyors knew what was doing up there. Many night hours were spent at night doing the observations & then calculations. Even Lennie Beadell had to do navigation & position fixing this way. Geez, we have it easy with auto diesel vehicles & GPS's, eh?

have you seen the Planetarium at The Levels (Mawson Lakes)? I must get there myself.

Cheers

Rick
FollowupID: 380176

Follow Up By: Member - Banjo The First (SA) - Wednesday, Aug 17, 2005 at 08:40

Wednesday, Aug 17, 2005 at 08:40
Nope - wrong side of town for me - I do too much driving in the city to and from work so I'm reluctant to do any more - I think I qualify as a proper mud stick (unless on a bush trip of course :-)
FollowupID: 380248

Sponsored Links